About NIFT Exam
The National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) organizes the NIFT entrance exam to select aspirants for admission in design programs offered by NIFT. Approximately 23,000 students took the NIFT entrance exam in 2020 to secure admission in undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by the design institution.
The NIFT is one of the prestigious institutes in fashion education. Apart from all this, NIFT has domestic centres in 15 other cities including, Bangalore, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Jodhpur, Kangra, Kannur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Patna, Raebareli, Shillong, and Srinagar. Recently, a new campus of NIFT has started functioning in Panchkula, but they only provide Continuous Education programs.
The NIFT 2021 entrance exam is going to be held on 14th February 2021.
Based on the NIFT exam, candidates will be able to get admission to any of the following courses.
- Bachelor of Design (B. Des)
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech)
- Master of Design (M. Des)
- Master of Fashion Management (MFM)
- Master of Fashion Technology (M.F.Tech)
The NIFT entrance exam is a three-tiered format for admissions into the B. Des and M. Des courses.
As part of the selection process of the NIFT entrance exam 2021 for admission to courses like B. Des and M. Des, aspiring candidates need to first appear for the Creative Ability Test (CAT), followed by a General Ability Test (GAT).
The final round for getting admission into the B.Des course is a Situation Test, and that for the M.Des course, it is GD/PI round.
NOTE: For B.F.Tech course admissions, candidates are required only to take the GAT exam.
NOTE: For MFM and M.F.Tech programs, candidates have to appear for both the GAT and GD/PI admission rounds.
The NIFT admission process for design course admissions is mentioned in the table below with the weightage provided to them in the final exam:
NIFT Exam 2021: Key Element
|Full Name||National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Examination|
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Fashion Technology|
|Exam Purpose||Admission into 16 NIFTs|
|Courses offered||B.Des, B.F.Tech, M. Des, M.F.Tech, M.F.M.|
|Exam Level||National Level Exam|
for B. Des: 3 Hours|
GAT for B. Des and M. Des: 2 Hours
GAT for B.F. Tech, M.F.M., M.F. Tech: 3 Hours
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Application Fee (General)||₹ 2000 [to be paid offline]|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Mode of Counselling||Online/Offline|
|Number of test cities||32 cities in India|
|Number of participating colleges||19|
|Exam Helpdesk Number||+91-1126542000|
NIFT Important Dates 2021 Exam
Important dates for the NIFT 2021 exam, such as application form, admit card, exam, and result, are listed below. Students are advised to take note of the following events and dates with regard to the NIFT 2021 examination:
|NIFT Registration begins||14th December 2020|
|NIFT Registration closes||21st January 2021|
|Last date for online registration with a late fee||24th January 2021|
|Form Correction Window||25th January 2021 (12:00 AM) Till 28th January 2021 (05:00 PM)|
|NIFT Admit Card||1st February 2021 (02:00 PM)|
|Date of Examination||14th February 2021|
|NIFT 2021 Answer Key||17th February, 2021|
|NIFT 2021 Prelims Results||17th March, 2021 (Released)|
|NIFT 2021 Final B.FTech result||27th May, 2021|
|NIFT 2021 Final result for MDes MFM and MFTech||2nd June, 2021|
|NIFT 2021 Final result for B.Des||
10th June, 2021|
|NIFT 2021 Counselling Registration||29th June, 2021|
Eligibility Criteria for NIFT 2021
Candidates must go through the following details in order to get an idea about the eligibility criteria before applying for the exam to avoid the cancellation of the application:
B. Des/B.F. Tech Courses:
- The candidate must be of 23 years of age (1st August 2020). However, the upper age limit is 28 years for the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribe/Person With Disability (PwD.).
- The candidate should have passed their 10+2 examination from a recognized State Board or Central Board of Secondary Examination.
- The candidate must have a General Certificate Education Examination from Cambridge/London/Sri-Lanka at the International Advanced (A)/Baccalaureate (I.B.) level.
- The candidate should have qualified any Public Board/School/University Examination in India.
- The candidate should pass the minimum passing grade with a minimum of five subjects in the Senior Secondary School Examination organized by the National Open School.
- The candidate should have a 3-year or 4-year diploma course, which is recognized by the AICTE or the State Board of Technical Education.
M. Des/M.F.M. Courses:
- For Master Programmes, there are no age limits.
- The candidate must have obtained a Bachelor's Degree in any field from a recognized Institute/University in India.
M.F. Tech Course:
- The candidate should have a B.F.Tech Degree obtained from NIFT.
- The candidate is required to have a B.E/B.Tech. Degree obtained from a recognized University/Institute in India.
- The students appearing for the qualifying exam can also apply with proof of the minimum specified qualifications at the time of counseling/admission.
- The candidates who have not appeared for the qualifying exam before the counseling/admission date are not eligible.
- Provisional admission will only be given in case the result of the 12th class/final semester exam has not been declared at the time by the concerned university or equivalent board till the date of counseling or admission. The provisional admission will not be given if the result is not reported due to other reasons.
Syllabus for NIFT 2021
B. Des and M. Des
- Communication Ability: This section includes questions on antonyms, correct spellings, idioms and phrases, one-word substitutes, singular and plural, synonyms, words with corresponding meanings, etc.
- English Comprehension: This tests the candidate's ability to comprehend a situation from the given passage and their basic English language skills.
- Current Affairs and General Knowledge: This sub-test is designed to test the candidate's general knowledge and current affairs.
- Quantitative Ability: This contains questions that are meant to test Addition, Division, Fractions, Multiplication, Percentage, Rate of Interest and Distance, Ratio and Proportion, Work and Task, etc.
B.F. Tech, M. Des, M.F.M, M.F. Tech
- Analytical Ability and Logical Ability: This section is designed to test the candidate's ability to infer and apply the logic from the given information and evaluate their skill to identify a given problem using reasoning in solving it. Practice and conceptual clarity of creative and lateral thinking are useful here.
- Case Study: This section is based on a situation in an industrial environment. It aims to evaluate the managerial ability of the candidate.
- Current Affairs and General Knowledge: This sub-test is designed to test the candidate's general knowledge and current affairs.
- English Comprehension and Communication Ability: This test includes questions to test antonyms, comprehending a situation from a given passage, correct spellings, idioms and phrases, one-word substitutes, singular and plural, synonyms, words with corresponding meanings, etc.
- Quantitative Ability: This section is meant to test Addition, Division, Fractions, Multiplication, Percentage, Rate of Interest and Distance, Ratio and Proportion, Work and Task, etc.
Some questions from the engineering field will also be tested for M.F.Tech.
NIFT conducts an examination called the Creative Ability Test (CAT) which is meant to examine the illustrative and creative skills of the aspirant. The NIFT CAT is one of the first exams held by the National Institute of Fashion Design. It tests the aptitude of the candidates based on their Creativity, Design Abilities, Illustration Skills, Innovation in the Development of a Concept, Innovative Use of Colours, and Observation Power.
A candidate must go through the topics listed below to prepare for the NIFT CAT 2021 examination.
|3D Visualisation||Foreshortening and Perspective||Optical Illusion|
|Colour Psychology and Optical Illusions||Form and Function||Optical Illusion Design|
|Colour Terminology||Graphics and Pictograms||Ornaments and motifs|
|Colour, Pattern and Texture||Imagination and Doodling||Picture Analysis|
|Creative Thinking and Writing||Innovation and Creation||Presentation Techniques|
|Design Awareness||Innovation in Design||Principles of Composition|
|Design Theory||Inspiration and Creativity||Story Pictures|
|Developing Themes and Colour Associations||Inspiration and Design Development||Theme Development|
|Drawing Fundamentals||Lateral Thinking||Understanding Light and Shade|
|Elements and Principles Of Design||Memory Drawing||Usage of Colour in Compositions|
|Exercises on Imagination||Mood, Theme, and Colour Inter-Relationship||Use of Measurements, Scale, and Proportions|
|Expression and Emotion||Natural and Geometrical Form||Visual Logic|
The General Ability Test (GAT) is conducted as a written exam comprising of sections like Communication Ability and English Comprehension, Quantitative Ability, General Knowledge and Current Affairs, and Analytical Ability and Logical Ability. The essential topics that candidates must prepare for NIFT GAT 2021 are listed below.
|Communication Ability and English Comprehension||
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||
NIFT 2021 Seat Reservation Criteria
Kindly note the reservation policy of the NIFT 2021 examination presented in the table below.
|Category||Percentage of Seats Reserved|
|OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||27%|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||5%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.50%|
NIFT Application Process 2021
The NIFT 2021 Application form is released in the final week of October 2020. It will be available on the website for around two months. The candidates should fill in and submit their online application form with the application fees within the stipulated time. If the applicant fails to register within the time specified, they have to pay a fine of ₹ 5000 to submit the application form. The examination is to be conducted in January 2021.
The candidates whose parents (any one of them) work as a Development commissioner (Handloom or Handicraft) are eligible for the Artisan category.
The applicant must have passed or appeared in the class 12th exam to be eligible for NIFT.
The students should not be more than 23 years of age as of June 01, 2021.
- Registration begins
- Filling of the Application Form
- Uploading required documents
- Payment of application fee.
- Printing application form.
The applicants are required to pay the application fee of ₹ 2000 (without a fine) before the last date to get their application form verified. The application forms that are not accompanied by the application fee will be rejected.
Candidates will have to pay the application fee of Rs.1000 if they are from SC/ST or PWD categories.
Pre-Requisites for Filling the NIFT 2021 Application Form
- A valid Email ID
- Personal and Education qualification details
- The applicants Caste/ Tribe/ Class certificate (for SC/ST/OBC candidates)
- PwD certificate for candidates who has a physical disability
- The scanned copies of your passport size photograph and signature, which is in JPEG/JPG format
- A Demand Draft in case you are paying the application fee through DD
- A credit/debit card in case of payment of application fee in online mode
Filling of the NIFT 2021 Application Form
The NIFT Registration 2021 will be an entirely online procedure. Aspirants should first and foremost visit the official website, www.nift.ac.in, in order to fill the application form. An application form sent through offline modes, such as via post, is not acceptable. The steps stated below will guide you in completing the application process for NIFT 2021.
Step 1: Registration
- Visit the official website of NIFT.
- Fill in the details like candidates name, D.O.B., reserved category details, valid email id. Select the program from the drop-down menu.
- The candidate's email id and date of birth will be used for logging in for the exam.
Step 2: Application Form
- Log in to the candidate's account with the email id and D.O.B.
- Enter the details of the verification code and click on the Submit button.
- Click on the declaration "I agree" (click on the checkbox beside the statement).
- Use the "Save" option after information verification is done.
Step 3: Uploading of Passport Photograph and Signature file
- The photograph and signature file must be less than 50 K.B. in size and must be in the .jpg or .jpeg format.
- Select the 'next' button to continue with the process.
Step 4: Final Submission and Payment of Application Fee for the Exam
The exam application fee, according to various categories, is as follows.
|General/OBC (Non - creamy) category||2000 INR|
|SC/ST/PHP category||1000 INR|
The application fee for the entrance can be paid via online mode otherwise using a bank draft written in favor of "NIFT HO" which shall be payable at New Delhi.
Payment of application fee through bank draft:
Candidates must get a bank draft prepared for payment of the application fee. The details on the draft related to the candidate's name, signature, date, and amount must be adequately checked. The filled application form copy should be sent along with the D.D. to the following address:
The Project Manager,
All India Management Association Management House,
14, Institutional Area,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003
Payment of the application fee - Credit/Debit Card:
Applicants must provide the necessary details of their account number along with the P.I.N. to pay the fee through a secure payment gateway. The information will not be stored. Do not click on the back or refresh button while the application fee is being paid.
Select the next option to continue with the payment procedure on the site.
One can pay the required fee through online mode or via bank draft issued which is issued in favour of "NIFT HO" payable at New Delhi.
Step 5: Printing
After completely filling the form, you can print a copy and keep it safely for future use. Candidates who want to pay the application fees through demand draft or DD need to send a copy of their application form with a scanned copy of the DD.
Application Form Correction
The students can review and correct their personal information in the application in the first week of January 2021.
This application fee is non-refundable in all cases if the applicant is found not eligible for admissions into the NIFT after editing and updating the application form.
The candidates will not be able to change the examination city after the submission until the deadline has passed.
|Name||Must be the same as in class 10/SSC certificate/ name on the passport.|
|DOB||Date of birth to be entered in the format of date/month/year This must be selected from the calendar next to the text box.|
|Mobile number||The mobile number that is working and which will allow future correspondence.|
|Email id||A functional email id of the candidate or their parents'/siblings'/relatives' that can be used for sending details of registration number and password.|
|Year of completion||Enter the year of passing the qualifying examination.|
|Name of Parents||Enter the name of either of the parents as written in the 10th class certificate.|
|Fees||An amount of ₹ 2000 has to be paid and details of the mode of payment need to be mentioned.|
|Educational Qualification||Information of marks has to be filled in percentage for classes 10, 12 and graduation.|
|Correspondence address||Home address/local address has to be filled. This will be used for relevant communication.|
College-wise Intake through NIFT score
The college-wise intake through a candidate's NIFT examination score is given below:
|Institutes||Category - Open, SC, ST, OBC(NCL), GEN- EWS, PwD||NRI/OCI/Foreign Nationals/SAARC||State Domicile|
|NIFT New Delhi||364||49||-|
NIFT Exam Centers 2021
NIFT Exam 2021 is going to be conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in more than 30 cities across the nation. Candidates are advised to choose the exam centers carefully because no changes can be made after the submission of the application form.
Tabulated below is the list of NIFT 2021 exam cities candidates can choose from according to their ease at the time of registration.
Q1. How many times can an aspirant appear for the NIFT exam?
A1. Bearing in mind the criteria for eligibility of NIFT 2021, candidates who are willing to give the exam can appear for the exam as many times as they like. As per the guidelines, the age limit is 23 years.
Q2. Is there a specific exam day guideline that one has to follow while appearing for the NIFT 2021 exam?
A2. Students are advised to follow basic guidelines as provided below-
Print out of NIFT 2021 admit card
Photo ID proof
Own stationery like a Ballpoint pen, Pencil, Eraser, a Ballpoint pen, Lead pencils, dry colours, Sharpner, and a ruler (for B.Des)
Q3. How do I prepare for NIFT CAT?
A3. Students need to go through the detailed exam pattern and the syllabus for NIFT CAT and formulate a preparation strategy. NIFT CAT exam evaluates the aspirant's power of observation, innovation design ability, etc.
Q4. How do I prepare for NIFT GAT?
A4. The NIFT GAT contains multiple-choice questions that aspirants need to solve to clear the exam. Questions from subjects such as Analytical Ability, Quantitative Ability, Communication Ability, English Comprehension, General Knowledge, and Current Affairs.
Q5. Is there a negative marking scheme in the NIFT CAT?
A5. The NIFT CAT exam does not have negative marking. However, for the G.A.T. exam, 0.25 marks are deducted for every wrong answer marked by a candidate.
Best wishes to all the NIFT aspirants from the CollegeMarg Team!