About GATE 2021 EXAMS
The GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level online examination conducted for Masters in Technology (MTech), Master of Engineering (ME), and direct Ph.D. entry to the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), IISc Bangalore, Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other institutes across India.
Several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) including, BHEL, DRDO, IOCL, NTPC, and ONGC, also use GATE score in their recruitment process. On behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB - GATE), MHRD, Government of India GATE exam is conducted jointly by IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, and IISc Bangalore. The GATE exam is held to test the understanding of aspirants at the undergraduate level of Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level of the Sciences.
Candidates can choose two subjects/papers in combinations. Candidates were previously only eligible to apply for one subject/paper.
As there are different papers offered under the aptitude test, it is suggested that candidates carefully read the eligibility of the paper they wish to apply. Candidates who do not satisfy the eligibility criteria will be excluded from the exam during a subsequent stage.
GATE 2021 Exam Key Element
GATE 2021 Exam Details
IIT Bombay, the organizing body of GATE 2021, has recently announced the exam dates with a few modifications in the eligibility criteria and exam pattern. Candidates are now allowed to sit for a maximum of two papers. The registration process for the GATE 2021 commences on 11th September 2020 till 7th October 2020.
The Centralised Counselling for MTech/MArch/MPlan (CCMT) and Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP) is the GATE counselling authorities that conduct the counselling process to offer the admissions to qualified candidates. The GATE pattern has been updated, and the distribution of marks in papers except for AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, ST, and XL is 72% for the core subject, 13% for engineering mathematics, and 15% for general aptitude. The counselling process shall begin after the declaration of the result.
GATE Eligibility Criteria 2021
Candidates who want to join the IITs and other top institutes/colleges for the Master's program in the field of Engineering and Science need to take the common entrance exam conducted jointly by the IITs. Students have to fit the eligibility criteria of the GATE 2021 issued by the exam conducting authority. Given below are the updated eligibility criteria for GATE 2021:
- Candidates should possess a bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Science/Commerce/Arts from a recognized university/institute.
- Final year candidates can also apply, but their admission shall be subjected to the submission of the passing certificate of the terminal year.
- Reservation is also provided to the SC/ST and PwD students for appearing in the entrance exam.
Kindly note the following requirements that are given below:
- Academic Qualification: Candidates who have passed/appearing for their Bachelor's Degree in Engineering/Technology/Arts/Commerce or Post Graduation in a relevant discipline are eligible for the GATE 2021 entrance exam.
- Nationality: Citizens of India, along with foreign nationals from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and the United Arab Emirates, are also eligible for GATE 2021 entrance exam.
- Age Limit: There isn't any minimum or a maximum age limit to appear in the exam.
- Qualifying Marks: No minimum percentage is required to appear for the exam.
- Number of Attempts: There is no limit specified for the number of attempts.
Note: Applicants, please kindly check the eligibility criteria before applying for any institution as the above mention eligibility criteria are only for the GATE entrance exam. (Eligibility criteria for M.Tech admissions in IITs or other institutes/colleges are decided respectively by the respective institutes)
The official documents required for the GATE Examination are listed below:
- Certificate from any professional institute/college recognized by MHRD or AICTE as equivalent to B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch.
- If the qualifying examination was passed in 2020 or before, students have to submit their degree certificate/provisional certificate issued by the institute.
- For the candidates of the terminal year of qualifying, examinations have to upload the course certificate issued by the concerned institute or Department.
GATE 2021 Application Process
GATE Exam 2021 registration process is an online process made available by the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). The registration commences on 14th September 2020 (Monday), till 30th September 2020 (Wednesday). Candidates who want to participate in the exam have to apply for the exam by filling the application form through the official website of the GATE. It is an online process that involves the following steps:
Step 1: Registration
- Visit the official website of GATE – Click Here
- Click on the GOAPS (GATE Online Application Processing System).
- Fill required details.
- Get yourself register by filling in all the details required in the registration form.
- Click submit.
- Get Password and Registration ID to login to the GATE application form.
Step 2: Fill GATE online application form 2021
- Re-login using unique GATE Registration ID
- Click “Edit Application Form”.
- Enter details of no. of paper, paper subject, and exam city, etc.
- Fill in all the required personal details.
Step 3: Upload Documents
- Upload the scanned photograph (3.5 cm X 4.5 cm, 5kb to 200kb).
- Upload the scanned signature (2 cm X 7 cm, 5 KB to 100 KB).
Step 4: Fee Payment
- After clicking Save & Next, the fee payment page will be redirected.
- Choose payment mode (Net Banking, Credit card, and Debit Card).
- Click Proceed to pay.
Fee details for exam cities in India
Fee details for exam cities in foreign countries
Step 5: Final Submission
- After completing all the steps mentioned above candidates will have to do the final submission of the GATE application form.
- Don’t forget to download the filled-in application form.
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme
- GATE 2021 will be conducted only in the online mode, i.e., CBT mode.
- The exam duration is of 3 hours.
- All the questions asked in the test will be related to the GATE 2021 syllabus.
- As per the GATE 2021 exam pattern, there will be three types of questions — Multiple Choice Questions, Multiple Select Questions, and Numerical Answer Type Questions.
- In the case of MCQs, candidates will have to select one answer from the four options provided, and in the NAT questions, students will have to enter the correct answer using the virtual keyboard. For MSQs, students need to select more than one option.
- Candidates will be provided a scribble pad for their rough work.
GATE 2021 Syllabus and Topic-Wise Weightage
In the General Aptitude section, the candidates’ verbal and numeric ability is tested as follows:
The subjectwise weightage of marks is given as follows:
GATE 2021 Syllabus for CSE (Computer Science)
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Instrumentation Engineering
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Civil Engineering
GATE 2021 Syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering
GATE Exam Paper Codes 2021
GATE exam is conducted on the basis of subjects codes which comprises of different syllabus or topics for different courses. Students need to choose the subjects accordingly based on the course they are opted for. Listed below are the paper codes provided by the IITs for the GATE exam 2021:
Note: XE, XH, and XL codes are further divided into sub codes that are tabulated below:
XE Paper Codes
XH Paper Codes
XL Paper Codes
GATE Exam Admission Process 2021
The admission process comprises some stages. Candidates must go through these stages, after which they get admission to the institution of their choice.
- Filling up the application form for GATE 2021: Candidates must register themselves online for the GATE 2021 before appearing for the test. The online application forms for the exam are made available by the conducting authority from September 11, 2020.
- Downloading the admit card for GATE 2021: After registering, candidates need to download the GATE 2021 admit card.
- Appear for the GATE 2021: Depending on the subject chosen, candidates have to appear for the exam. The GATE 2021 exam date schedule will be released along with the exam brochure.
- Result declaration for the GATE 2021: The result for the GATE 2021 exam will going to be announced by IIT Bombay. The scorecard will consist of the candidate's marks, normalized score, and rank.
- GATE 2021 counselling process: After the result declaration counselling process takes place. Candidates need to register themselves for the following procedure to choose an institute/college and discipline from their preference.
GATE Exam Day Guidelines 2021
- Candidates must report to the examination center one hour before the reporting time for admit card and ID proof verification. Entries after gate closure time will be prohibited.
- It is mandatory to carry the GATE admit card and an original photo identity proof to the test centre.
- Students must not carry mobiles, pagers, watches, etc., with them to the exam hall.
- The candidates will have to provide their biometric information.
- Candidates are requested to check the system allocated to them and ensure that it is in proper working condition.
- Examinees must verify their photo, which will appear on the screen in the upper right corner.
- Candidates will be allowed to log in about twenty minutes before the examination started.
- Students must read the instructions that emerge on the screen after logging into the account.
- Candidates should ensure that the invigilator provides them with a scribble pad for rough work.
- Students must mention their GATE registration number on the scribble pad.
- Candidates suggested to go through all the questions asked in the exam and make sure to solve them in the given period.
- After answering a question, select the "save" option to save your answer for that specific question.
- Keep calm while attempting the numerical questions to avoid careless mistakes.
GATE Exam Cities 2021
GATE Exam is conducted in eight zones at different IITs across the nation. Candidates can choose upto 04 cities according to their ease at the time of filling the online application form according to their preference. Given below are the zone wise exam cities students can choose from:
Domestic Exam Centers for GATE 2021
International Exam Centers for GATE 2021
Recommended books for GATE preparation
Computer Science (CS)
Agriculture Engineering (AG)
Electrical Engineering (EE)
Chemical Engineering (CH)
Mechanical Engineering (ME)
Civil Engineering (CE)
Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
FAQs Associated to GATE Exam
Q1. Are candidates allowed to change their GATE exam city once the application gets done?
A1. Yes, a change of examination city will be allowed against payment, but this is possible only after the passing of the deadline for submission of the application.
Q2. Are candidates allowed to change their category after the submission of the application?
A2. Yes, the change of category request will be entertained only till the date scheduled.
Q3. Are candidates allowed to change their GATE Paper after submission of the application?
A3. Yes, requests for the change of the GATE Examination Paper are allowed.
Q4. Are examinees allowed to leave the examination hall during the examination?
A4. No, candidates are NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the examination.
Q5. Are physical calculators allowed during the examination?
A5. No, no physical calculators are allowed during the examination. A virtual scientific calculator will be provided to All the candidates to answer the questions.
Q6. Is a student who has passed BTech in 2020 but has a backlog eligible to appear for GATE 2021?
A6. Yes, but such candidates must clear the backlog before the GATE 2021 counseling starts.
Best wishes to all GATE aspirants from the CollegeMarg team!